Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Trip to the Hematologist

I finally had my appointment on Friday, but it turned out to be much less productive than I had hoped.  First, the hematologist does not believe my test results.  He explained to me that a person with a typical protein C deficiency would show numbers in the 40-50% range, while normal is over 70%.  My number is less than 1%.  He thinks that is an impossible number and I would most likely be dead if that were true.  He thinks I may really have the deficiency, but someone screwed up the test.  So, they went ahead and drew more blood to redo the test.  The hematologist office is also an oncology office (that's for cancer patients if you weren't sure).  They do the blood draws right in the office.  It was really nice to just walk to another room to get my blood drawn, and it was also really nice to have a real expert draw my blood.  This guy spends all day drawing blood from cancer patients who have difficult veins, so I was very easy in contrast.  It was the best blood draw experience I have had in a long time.  Anyway, the results should be back by the middle of next week.  If I really do have the deficiency then there is no treatment needed currently.  I am perfectly healthy, so I don't need medication or anything.  If I get pregnant I will just do the heparin shots, and I should be fine.  Of course, if his test results come back normal then the first results were really screwed up and I don't have a protein C deficiency after all.  I would be really upset if that's the case, first because LabCorp really f'd up and who knows if they ever get results right.  All my results could be wrong.  Second, if the results are actually normal then I don't have an answer for these miscarriages after all and I am back to square one.  I really liked knowing there was an answer, and I have no clue what we are going to do if this comes back normal.  I'm sure my ob/gyn has some other stuff she might want to test, but I don't know.  If there isn't anything else to test for I'm not sure what we will do.  I don't want to give up on this, but I'm terrified of having another miscarriage.  I'm not going to think about it right now.  I will just wait and see what the results say.  I'm really getting tired of the waiting game though.  My patience has a limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment